GARGLE SUMMER OF COD
As you may have noticed, we were not accepted for this year's google summer of code, in spite of our organization vitality and clear leadership in the 'wheel reinvention' domain. However, we've got a backup plan.
Today I'm pleased to announce that I am announcing the GARGLE SUMMER OF COD. This program is smaller than 'Summer of Code'. Precisely one letter smaller, in fact.
In order to qualify for GARGLE SUMMER OF COD, we will need to be able to ship you cod. If we can figure out how to ship your sea-stipend, you are elegible to apply. Talk to us for shipping details.
If you've got a completed project, we'll be shipping the fish out on August 31st. Let us know in advance, so we can
Of course, good work should be rewarded. And, since we all know that sea lions love fish, we'll be rewarding you in cod.
A successful project will be rewarded several pounds of cod. Vegetarian substitutes are available. (Are sea cucumbers vegetables?)
We have the Google Summer of Code page up. Use it for ideas.
How To Apply
Send an email to the mailing list, or ping us on IRC. If your idea sounds interesting, and you seem like yu will be able to execute, we'll put your name down as a participant.
Because there's only so much fish I'm willing to have shipped, there is a limited number of slots, so let us know you're planning to work on something in advance.
At the end of the summer, if you've produced code, we ship cod.
libmath: Implementing a basic floating point math library for Myrddin.
Automatic C bindings. Generating headers and glue code from a header and a module specification.
Are you serious?
- We never take ourselves that seriously. But we promise you'll get your cod.
When can I get my fish?
- We'll be shipping it on August 31st.
What projects are eligible?
What fishmonger does GARGLE SUMMER OF COD use?
- We're open to suggestions, but if you are in the USA, we will default to Pike Place
Is GARGLE SUMMER OF COD considered an internship, a job, or any form of employment?
- No. You're fucking getting paid in fish, for fuck's sake.
- Budget constraints.
Can I chose the types of fish I'm paid in?
Aw, shucks, why are you doing this?
- YOU CAN'T SHUCK FISH, ONLY OYSTERS.
Where does GARGLE SUMMER OF COD occur?
- Summer. It's in the name. Literacy please.
What can I do to help spread the word about GARGLE SUMMER OF COD?
- Stand on a street corner and preach with a megaphone. The more people we can convince to rant in public about getting paid in fish, the better.
When can I apply for GARGLE SUMMER OF COD?
- There are no deadlines. If you ask early enough, and ship a significant feature this summer, you will get your fish.
Do I have to be a student?
- Nope, I don't care. Ship us code, we ship you cod.
What kind of code do you prefer?
- E-fish-ent code, of course.
Will there be T-Shirts?
- We'll be trying to arrange artwork for shirts. We make no promises on the quality.
You must be really bitter about getting rejected Google Summer of Code.
That's not a question. But more seriously, Summer of code was always a long shot. We're a tiny organization, we have no alignment with Google’s vision, and no connections with the selection committee. There’s no surprise that we were rejected, and if we were running Summer of Code I’d probably have rejected us too.
This... program... actually started off as a typo -- but we were amused by the idea of people getting cod, so we decided to run with it. It’s a joke carried through to ridiculousness. There's no bigger commentary.
We thought it would be funny to be the kind of project that ships fish to people as a ‘thank you’. Getting rejected from Summer of Code was an excuse.
What if I have more questions?
- NO MORE QUESTIONS ARE ALLOWED.